Hungarian Sour Cherry Soup


Stuck at home in the time of COVID-19, I'm trying to be productive by tackling some long-standing projects. One of these is de-cluttering my pantry. The bag of buckwheat I bought a year ago on a whim because of its enigmatic Russian packaging taunts me to come up with a good use for it. Staring at half-used bottles, jars and tins of blue agave syrup, malted milk powder, Lyle's Golden Syrup and what not languishing on shelves, I'm both annoyed and guilt-ridden.

And then there's the Morello cherries. Come on! That should be easy to put to use. Well it should be, but I only have one jar. Not enough to make a pie. But, thanks to coronavirus Stay-at-Home orders, I've been calling and Zooming long-lost friends and during one of these catch-ups, my friend Sara, whose husband is Hungarian, fondly spoke of her mother-in-law's Sour Cherry Soup. Eureka!

Here's her recipe. It's so good (and simple), I re-stocked my pantry with two more jars of cherries. So much for de-cluttering!


Hungarian Sour Cherry Soup (Meggyleves)
Adapted from the Vasy Family
Makes 4 small appetizer servings

In a medium saucepan, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until cherries are soft:
1 - 24 oz jar Morello cherries, including juices
1 long lemon peel without pith
2-3 whole cloves
pinch of salt

Remove from heat and stir one or two spoonfuls of the warm cherry liquid into:
1/2 cup sour cream

Stir the tempered sour cream into the soup and then chill before serving.


Follow Blog via Email
Enter your email address to receive notifications of new posts!

Delivered by FeedBurner

Comments

Popular Posts