Strawberry-Rhubarb Ice Cream


I loved Lindsey Shere's Santa Rosa Plum Ice Cream so much, I decided to use her base recipe and make a Strawberry Rhubarb version!

You'll need a total of 1.5 pounds of fruit. I didn't give specific amounts for each fruit as I often will use whatever I have on hand (I grow rhubarb and sometimes strawberries). I tend to like a little bit more rhubarb in my mix, but play around with the amounts and see what your tastebuds say. 

I also like to add a bit of balsamic vinegar at the end to help restore some zing to the cooked strawberries and rhubarb. Finally, I increased the ingredient amounts from Ms. Shere's original recipe as it made less than a quart and I wanted to maximize production from my 1-qt frozen cannister!


Strawberry-Rhubarb Ice Cream
Inspired by Chez Panisse Desserts by Lindsey Remolif Shere
Makes 1 quart

Notes: You'll need a total of 1 1/2 cups of whipping cream, divided.

Prepare the Strawberry-Rhubarb puree
In a large Dutch oven, cook over low to medium heat about 15 minutes until tender, stirring often to prevent sticking:
1 1/2lb combination of strawberries and rhubarb, washed, hulled, cut into 1" pieces  
1/4 cup water

Allow to cool a little, then puree in a blender or food processor or food mill. The blender provides the smoothest puree, followed by the food processor and then the food mill.

Measure out and chill:
2 1/4 cups strawberry-rhubarb puree 

In a small bowl, whisk lightly:
3 egg yolks
Set aside.

In a medium-sized heavy, non-reactive saucepan, warm together until sugar dissolves:
3/4 cup whipping cream
1 scant cup sugar (188g)

Ladle a little of the warm cream mixture into the whisked egg yolks, stirring constantly. Return the egg yolk mixture to the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture coats the spoon. Strain through a medium-fine strainer into a clean container. Stir in reserved strawberry-rhubarb puree and add another:
3/4 cup whipping cream

as well as:
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar

Chill thoroughly, preferably overnight. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions for your ice cream maker.


Follow Blog via Email
Enter your email address to receive notifications of new posts!

Delivered by FeedBurner

Comments

Popular Posts