Beet Soup with Goat Cheese


Wow! This soup is fantastic! I finished making it, turned my back, and before I knew it, half the stockpot was emptied by my husband and daughter. My apologies to beet lovers, but who knew beets could be so good?

I don't know if it was the chicken stock (I just used the jarred Better Than Bouillon concentrate) or the apple or the onions/carrots/celery, or the beets. The soup hits all the right notes - sweet, savory, tangy and fresh. I didn't have dill so I used finely diced cucumbers which added a nice crisp contrast.

The soup can be served chilled or warm, so this is a year-round delight. Add this to your arsenal of beet recipes!


Beet Soup with Goat Cheese
Adapted from Plenty by Diana Henry 
Serves 8

In a large, heavy stockpot, heat over medium heat:
a glug of olive oil
two pats of butter

Add to stockpot:
2 onions, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
Add a splash of water, cover, turn heat to low and sweat for 15 minutes or until onions are soft.

Add to stockpot:
1 3/4 lb beets, trimmed, scrubbed well and rinsed, sliced (don't bother peeling)
1 small tart apple (Granny Smith), peeled, cored and sliced
Cover and sweat for 15 minutes.

Pour in:
6 cups chicken stock

Season with:
salt and pepper

Bring to a boil, then simmer until the beets are completely tender. Leave to cool, then puree in blender in batches or in pot with an immersion blender.

Serve hot or cold with a dollop on top of any of the following:
sour cream
dill sprigs
diced cucumber
goat cheese, crumbled



Follow Blog via Email
Enter your email address to receive notifications of new posts!

Delivered by FeedBurner

Comments

Popular Posts