Chocolate-Orange-Almond Bread Pudding


I hate to see food go to waste, although I readily admit, I'm often guilty. It usually goes like this. I see something sitting in the frig or on the counter and I think to myself, "We need to eat this, or make something out of it." A few days later, I'll see it again and remind myself, "Yikes, I really need to get on this before it starts going bad." Soon after, I'm doing my darndest to avoid noticing the thing, because not only am I starting to feel guilty knowing I should have done something sooner, I now know I'm going to have to touch slimy, mushy, moldy, yucky stuff in order to salvage what little good stuff is left.

So when almost a pound of Acme Sour Batard sat on the counter unconsumed for over a week, I knew at best when I opened the bag I'd find a rock or at worst a moldy rock. Fortunately, it was just a rock.

What can you do with rock-hard bread? Well, the Italians appear to be experts at salvaging old bread: Ribollita, a Tuscan bread soup; Panzanella, a Tuscan bread salad; Canederli, bread "dumplings" served in a soup. Then, there's always bread crumbs, but I was afraid the rock would burn out my food processor motor. Then I realized I had partially used cartons of half and half and heavy whipping cream leftover from all that ice cream making. So, I killed two birds with one stone and made bread pudding.

I find Joy of Cooking a good starting point for many a dish. Because their recipes are generally basic and straightforward, you can embellish them in many ways. To their bread pudding recipe, I added orange zest, chocolate chips and some grated almond paste. However, when the recipe called for "stale bread, but not hard,"  I knew I might have to tweak it a bit further. After all, I used a hammer to break apart my bread, so I'm pretty sure it fell under the verboten "hard" category.


I followed the recipe below, but after soaking a couple of hours in the frig, I realized the bread was still pretty dry, so I made some more of the egg/cream mixture (2 eggs + 1 1/2 cups cream) and poured it on. After an overnight soaking, the bread pudding was ready to go into the oven.

So if you have day-old bread and not weeks old bread, you can follow the amounts given below. For bread that requires hammering, increase the egg and cream amounts. I didn't increase the sugar as I was afraid it would make the pudding too sweet.

This was so yummy, warm out of the oven -  comfort food at its best. I happened to have a little bit of salted caramel sauce left in the frig, so I spooned some over the warm bread pudding. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know what you're thinking - gilding the lily. But really, I was trying not to waste food!


Chocolate-Almond-Orange Bread Pudding
Serves 10 - 12

Butter a 13" x 9" baking dish. Make sure it can fit inside a larger oven-proof dish for the water bath.

Spread evenly in prepared baking dish:
12  to 16 oz stale bread, cut up into 1" cubes

Scatter over top of bread:
zest from one orange
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup sliced almonds
3-4 oz grated almond paste

In a medium bowl, whisk together:
4 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

To the eggs, whisk in:
3 cups any combination of whole milk, half and half, heavy whipping cream, low-fat milk

Pour mixture over the bread.


Lay a sheet of plastic wrap directly on top of the bread. Place weights (cans, tetra-paks) on top to press bread into liquid.


Refrigerate overnight.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F.

Remove weights and plastic wrap from the baking dish. Place baking dish inside larger oven-proof dish and place in oven. Immediately pour enough warm water into the larger dish to come 1/2 way up side of the 13" x 9" dish. Bake for 1 hour, or until puffed and firm in the center.


Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or your favorite sauce. Store leftovers in the frig.




Follow Blog via Email
Enter your email address to receive notifications of new posts!

Delivered by FeedBurner

Comments

Popular Posts