Extra-Bitter Hot Fudge Sauce


Went to the grocery store to buy ice cream and miscellany for P's 10th bday.  All the jarred sauces, caramel, hot fudge, etc, had high fructose corn syrup listed as the first ingredient.  It's not that I'm a super health nut, but I figured why add more of this stuff to my diet when I could probably make it myself.  Even better, when I got home, my teenage daughter volunteered to cook up a batch!

This stuff looked so good, I was dying to skip dinner and go straight to dessert.  But I couldn't set a bad example for my kids, now could I?  Well, let me tell you, this fudge sauce is to die for.  Soooo yummy, I didn't even have time to take a picture of my ice cream sundae.  The next morning, we had it on our waffles. Right now I'm thinking about how I'm going to have it for lunch!


Extra-Bitter Hot Fudge Sauce
adapted from Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home by Jeni Britton Bauer

Makes 2 1/3 cups

In a medium saucepan, combine and bring to a boil:
1 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup
Stir until sugar is dissolved.

Remove from heat and whisk in until well combined:
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted

Add, and continue to whisk until very smooth:
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Add and stir with a wooden spoon or heatproof spatula until chocolate is completely melted and smooth:
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped

Sauce should look glossy when done.  Ours looked a little grainy, but upon reheating before serving, it smoothed out and had a beautiful gloss.

You can store it in a glass jar refrigerated for up to 2 months.  Reheat before serving.





Comments

Popular Posts